Okay…let’s get to know each other. And yes, that usually means telling secrets, or just some surprising facts. I’ll go first, then I expect you to join in.
- Years ago, I acted in one made for television movie. Kent State. It was filmed in my old home state in Gadsden, Alabama. I was an extra throughout the movie, but I had one, just one, speaking part. “Go away pigs!” It got cut. The reason? Because I was supposed to sound like a northerner. I remember them saying. “The word ‘pigs’ is only supposed to have one syllable.”
- I interviewed one movie star. And yes, he is someone you would know. Tom Selleck. It was only over the phone. I thought he’d give me five minutes. We were on the phone for almost forty-five. Sad thing was, I was the one who had to end the call. Yeah, I practically hung up on Tom Selleck. I saw the time and my son was in kindergarten at the time, so I had to go pick him up. Now I think… The kid could have waited.
- I speak Spanish. Yup, I lived in South America for almost two years. And I speak it well enough that when I was there, I actually got in an argument with someone that refused to believe I was an American. According to him, all Americans were tall.
- In my other life I was a photographer. I did photo journalism for about ten years. And the strange thing is that I’m not really good with recognizing people’s faces, but if I take a picture of someone, I can remember them forever. I met a guy in a restaurant in the middle of the Chicago airport. And I knew him, but wasn’t sure from where. He started looking at me the same way, so I went up to him. He lived in Houston and I had written an article about him and his wife about ten years earlier.
- I believe in ghosts. No, I don’t sit around talking to them. I’m too busy talking to my characters. But, I’ve had too many eerie things happen to me that make it hard not to believe that spirits don’t exist.